Operations and Administration
Here’s an overview of the internal workings of the ministry and the roles of various departments
Administration and Supplies Department
- Taking charge of the general administration of the Ministry/Department/Agency;
- Advising on general administration matters in the Ministry/Department/Agency;
- Responsible for assisting in the formation of policies and their execution;
- Ensuring the maintenance of discipline and cohesion in the Ministry/Department/ Agency;
- Preparation of Annual Estimates of the Ministry and staff turnover in conjunction with the Directorate of Finance and Accounts;
- Advising on all procurement activities of the Departments in the Ministry;
- Maintaining the stores and Government inventories in conjunction with the Finance and Account Directorate;
- Ensuring compliance with Due Process and the provision of the Procurement Act in all contracts and procurement in the Ministry/Department/Agency;
- Supervising the Purchases and Supplies Section of the Ministry/Department/ Agency;
- Responsible for general maintenance of Ministry/Department/Agency;
- Interpreting extant rules-General Order, Finance Regulations and Civil Service Commission; Regulations and Establishment Circulars as may be related to the Directorate concerned;
- Taking responsibility for such duties as Personnel Management, Project Analysis, Investment, Management, Finance Management and Management Services in the Ministry;
- Coordination of training programmes of the Staff of the Ministry.
Finance and Account Department
Payment of Salaries and Salary related deductions:
- Preparation of Nominal Roll for Staff, Public/Political Appointees as well as corps members;
- Opening of Personal Emolument (PE) card for members of staff, Political Appointees as well as newly posted corps members. The incremental date was also effected;
- Preparation of Payment Voucher for staff, Political Appointees and salary deductions;
- Preparation and printing of payment slip belonging to public and Political Office holders and staff when requested;
- Preparation and printing of pay and tax evidence for the processing of tax clearance certificate at Board of Internal Revenue;
- Keeping and updating Department Vote Expenditure Analysis (DVEA) Book for Recurrent, Capital Expenditures and Consolidated Revenue Fund Charges (CRF);
- Payment of Gratuities to parastatals and Tertiary Institutions;
- Preparation of Payment Voucher for Ministry’s Expenditure
- Preparation of Cashbook and Bank Reconciliation Statement for all the Ministries Bank Accounts.
- Correspondences with banks and other Financial Institutions on behalf of the Ministry.
Fiscal Research Department
- Carrying out studies, analysis and diagnosis of Fiscal and Financial Operation of the State and disseminate the results to Government Institutions and General Public for use;
- Dissemination of standard practices including international good practices that will promote greater efficiency in allocation and management of Public Expenditure, Revenue collection, Debt Control and Transparency in Fiscal Matters;
- Reconciliation of expenditure with a view to advising Government on realistic budgeting;
- Development of multi-year Revenue Generation and Expenditure prioritization frame work;
- Providing Consultancy service to Local Governments on Fiscal Operation;
- To produce periodic reports of State’s Fiscal Performance.
Public Expenditure and Revenue Department
- Release of warrant letters to MDAs after ensuring that, appropriate procedures have been complied by the MDAs;
- Scrutinize Government expenditure to ensure compliance with extant rules and regulations guiding public spending;
- Ensure proper authorization of all expenditure in accordance with the provision of current Budget;
- To track records of all Government expenditure from Ministries/Departments/ Agencies (MDAs) for proper accountability;
- Monthly report of activities of expenditure which will give insight of the financial State of the Government on various sector of economy;
- Transparency and accountability of Government spending;
- Collection, collation and analyzing revenue returns of various MDAs with a view to monitoring and assessing their performance;
- Processing of gratuities for Parastatals and Tertiary Institutions in the State;
- Processing the commission of Revenue Consultants;
- Monitor Revenue Generation and Accountability.
Debt Management Department
The Debt Management is saddled mainly with the responsibility of tracking the Governments profile (both external and domestic loans) and the preparation/processing of salary related request of Civil/Public/Political Appointees in the State including Subventions to Parastatals and Tertiary Institutions in the State.
Schedule of Duties/Functions
- Monthly preparation and processing of Salary/Salary related request for Civil/Public and Political Appointees in the State including Subventions to Parastatals, State-owned Tertiary Institutions;
- Maintain a reliable database of all loans taken or guaranteed by the State Government.
- Prepare and Submit to State Government a forecast of loan service obligations for each financial year;
- Prepare and implement a plan for the efficient management of the State External and Domestic Debt obligations at sustainable levels compatible with desired economic activities for the growth and development;
- Verify/ service External Debt guaranteed by the Federal Government in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Finance and Debt Management Office, Abuja;
- Set guidelines for managing State Government financial risk and currency exposure with respect to all loans; and
- Advise the State Government on the terms and conditions in which monies, whether local or foreign currency, are to be borrowed.
- Processing and payment of annual leave bonus of Civil/Public Servants in the State.
- Processing and payment of monthly running cost to Ministries, Departments and Agencies and other Offices of Government.
- Processing and payment of monthly Subvention to Parastatals and Tertiary Institutions in the State.
- Processing of monthly pension request of retired Civil/Public Servants.
- Processing of pension arrears of retired Civil/Public Servants